Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Soul Rebel

My usual insomia...so here I am writing....a few thoughts. I am one of those people that can hear a song and remember what stage of life that music defined for me. Abba and Boney M always give me a warm and cosy feeling, memories of my childhood always wrap me up anytime their songs come on. Nigerian highlife music reminds me of my dad on sunday mornings and buying petrol. Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dog and rap in general reminds me of my brother who killed us with rap and swear words during his teenage years.Then comes reggae....I will always have a soft spot in my heart for all things rasta cos music was the only thing that kept me going in a foriegn country, without language, friends or family. Everyday, I would listen to Bob Marley, and know that I can face another day. It was one of the loneliest times in my life...and one of the best times, cos all I did was listen to music and read. Funny how uncomplicated life is when humans are not involved. That period soon came to an end as it was supposed to. Soon enough, friends became family and letters on paper became words spoken. Still, anytime I find myself alone, I am not too far from music....not too far from melodies that can take me away to any time I want, all I have to do, is listen.

I leave you all with "soul rebel", the music that always made my soul strong when others misunderstood me, thought me a strange creature....no, I am not, let me be, let me go on my own adventure in life...my path is not always the same as the world's...fuck them all.

1 comment:

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

Na wah for you o! Yeah.music sure helps when one is going through trying times...I also associate certains genres of music or certain songs with stages in my life...

I like Bob Marley but can't really say I loved him...when it comes to reggae, give me steele pulse anyday!