Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Arrogant asshole...

The last time I saw him, he said he was not looking forward to Thanksgiving. He did not have many American friends here and would probably have to watch the football game alone. That is why I thought it would be a good idea to wish him a happy Thanksgiving on that day. I wrote "Happy Thanksgiving, hope you enjoy the football". I did not think much of it, so when I did not get a reply, I wasn't bothered either. I hardly knew him to be bothered about not receiving a reply.Perhaps I had sent it to the wrong person....

I was about to leave when I saw him today. I began a sentence "I sent you a text to say..." he cut me off. He did not look at me as he swaggered down the corridor, all I could see was his back and his jeans hanging a bit too loose from his waist like a teenager, as he said, "Yes, I appreciated that, I had a lot of texts on that day" and then he turned left and disappeared.

What I was going to say, before he cut me off, was "I sent you a text to say Happy Thanksgiving but I probably sent it to the wrong person". Why did he not let me finish my sentence? Why did he not face me while he was talking to me? Eye contact would have been nice but perhaps that would be asking for too much. At least, he could have turned to look at me while he was talking, or is that also too much to ask for?"

I continued with my "winter business" without acknowleding what had happened. I stuffed the legs of my jeans into my winter boots. I wore my gloves and my jacket. I said goodbye to all and began the walk down to the bus stop. I walked the same way I had seen him walk, with a non chalant swagger and my shoulders straighter than usual. My hands were in my pocket and I had a smile plastered on my face. It would not surprise me if anybody who watched me from behind would assume that I was whistling as well. That was the image I wanted to give. Care free and nonchalant, just in case he happened to be watching from the window.

It wasn't until I sat down on the bus that I allowed my shoulders to drop and muttered "arrogant asshole".

5 comments:

LusciousRon said...

Nice attitude

Patrice said...

I am assuming that you would not have sent him such a thoughtful text if you had not had prior cordial encounters with him. So, maybe this time round something was irking him. That is not to excuse his rudeness, but perhaps he was preoccupied with whatever may have been bothering him?

Unknown said...

lol

A true african gal would give him what for.

Sweetie don't take trash from nobody especially when there is no ring on your finger.

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I cannot begin to imagine how I would have felt if I was in your shoes dear..
You did just the right thing.
Ignore him!
He's an ass!

miz-cynic said...

lol.did u know this person@tisha:-even wen there is a ring onn ur finger!