Sunday, August 25, 2013

I will miss you when you go...

He was taking stuff off the walls...I paced back and forth...watching him...

"I don't understand why you are packing now...you still have three weeks...who will give me coffee when You are gone?" I asked

"Then you will just have to come and visit me" he replied

"You will visit me cos now you wont have a proper kitchen" I said.

"You won't be here anyway" he said, removing more nails from the walls

"Is there anything here you want? a collection of national geographic?"

"Please! I have way too many books and shit...I don't want more books and mags" I replied, following him around as he put things in boxes.

"Oh, by the way, I know something you can have, I have a gift for you" he said

"Oh, what is it? a gift? for me?"

"Yes, I saw something that made me think of you so I bought it for you" he said.

"How interesting! what is it?"

He walked to a cupboard, brought out two bangles and reaching for my hand, he gently put them through...

"Ha! you liar! you did not get them for me, you got them for some girl and now you changed your mind and you are giving them to me"

He did not turn back as he took down more pictures off the wall...

"No, I got them for you. Its a gift"

"Oh..."

"So did you want coffee?"

"Anything sweet?"

"Tea?"

"Nahhhhhh"

"Carbonated water? I can put lemon in it?"

"Ok"

We drank the water in silence.

"I need to go get something from the shops" I said

"I need to read" he replied.

I walked quickly home. In my room I looked at the bangles. Nobody had given me a gift just because...for a long time. The bangles were brown, with some sort of white splashes on them. Its the kind of thing I would have bought for myself. That he knew me so well made me smile. I sent a text.

"Thank you for the bangles"  it said. "They are perfect".









2 comments:

24yearOldTeEnAgeR said...

I love that song.

Kitten said...

:)I love heart-warming feel of this post. The song is perfect.